Saturday, May 1, 2010

Walk

As Samuel and I weave our way through the flak of dodge balls, runaway hula-hoops, and shrieking 8 year olds; seldom a word is spoken. It’s nearly impossible to hear anything within the echoing chaos of the YMCA. So why talk? Oh, he may leak out a brief word reflecting his school-day behavioral status, but not much else. He holds my hand and we walk.

As we walk into the parking lot leaving behind the excessive noise of overabundance our conversation begins. We are still timid with the details of our dialogue as our attention is split between male bonding and the necessary avoidance of moving vehicles.

However, not until we are alone within the confines of the car does the real communication commence.

Do you ever notice this phenomenon within your prayer life?

Do you begin a conversation with God surrounded by the chaos of life?

Finding, not until the noise quiets a bit can you establish real interaction.

Personally, I do, I may start out with a healthy sampling of self degradation or self praise for that matter, in a way reporting to my Father my recent behavioral status, as if that indeed mattered. As if his love for me changes in response to my daily struggle. As if he is going to relinquish my hand out of pure disgust.

As the day slows our conversation intensifies, but it is not until I find the time to be alone with him do we really begin to commune.

Understand; the walk through the chaos is required.

The intermittent discussions made possible by my expert juggling and evasion techniques honed by years of walking in the world are refreshing and appreciated.

However, it seems to me, deep connection and renewal doesn’t truly take place until I find myself alone with God. I can only conclude the same must be true for you.

So, may your next number of tomorrows be filled with times of personal peace and quiet, times of walking with your God hand in hand. May you find deep union within the loving embrace of your Father, and may you know that you do not walk alone.

No comments: