Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Seat of Mockers

Blessed is the man
who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.
Psalms 1:1

I sat in the seat of mockers this week and I must say my faith has wavered ever since.

For the most part, just prior to this experience, the “Everlasting Joy” found in Christ was graciously forming within me. Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-control where all growing. I could nearly taste the great bounty to come. I was, “in a good place”. The approaching holidays added fuel to my refreshing demeanor.

But, I sat with mockers. They even hinted of,

“Breaking my chains; throwing off my fetters." Psalms 2:3

I’m sure the one enthroned laughed. I’m sure God rebuked and advised that he has already installed his King on Zion, his holy hill. Psalms 2:4-6

But I didn’t. I didn’t take a stand. Rationalizing that there is a time for everything. Rationalizing that jest and amicable conversation is always the best policy. But why? Why didn’t I forcefully oppose the flippant words?

Did I contribute to the shame of Glory? To the delusions and false gods? Psalms 4:2

My soul has experienced anguish. Psalms 6:3

Betrayal, pains the traitor greatly.

Away from me, all you who do evil,
for the LORD has heard my weeping.
The LORD has heard my cry for mercy;
the LORD accepts my prayer
Psalms 6:8-9

O LORD my God, I take refuge in you;
save and deliver me from all who pursue me
Psalms 7:1

My shield is God Most High,
who saves the upright in heart
Psalms 7:10

Heed the instruction of God. Do not run from his wrath. But, run toward his love.

If for some reason there is a lack of confidence that comes over you, a lack of faith that places you with the wicked, with the sinner, with the mocker; find strength in the freely offered grace of God and know that Jesus the Christ is with you.

As Brennan Manning wrote in “The Ragamuffin Gospel”,

“I am with you, I am for you, I am in you. I expect more failure from you than you expect from yourself.” Christ.

No comments: