Monday, August 18, 2008

Jesus, walk with me.

A number of years ago I requested repetitively within the sphere of my prayer life the following sentiment.

“Lord, please don’t leave me. No matter how far away I roam, no matter how far into darkness I trek, please don’t leave me. Allow me one last chance. Bring me back home.”

The admission to God that I will attempt to hide, that I will run away, that I will fail morally and be ashamed to return I repeated often, but in retrospect the statement seems rather childish. My admission, a type of constant confession. My request, a type of maintained path to repentance. They seem confused. I am not saying that I will not hide or run or fail in the future, but to think that somehow these things separate me from God seems wrong.

I pray now for continued compassion, continued touch, continued teaching.

“Jesus, walk with me. Wrap your arm around me. Take me and lead me. Be so present that you not only are there, that you are not only an option or a safety net, but Jesus, be so present as to touch me continually. Stay with me constantly, no matter where I hide, where I run, no matter what kind of failure I venture into, be with me and teach me your way.”

In John 15 Jesus proclaims,

“I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.” vs15

“Jesus, my friend, teach me your command. Allow me your guidance. Please never take your arm from around me. Never lose contact. Stay with me.”

No comments: