Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Name

I went to an athletic awards ceremony recently and noticed a certain boy as he was called to the front. His name was called to denote his identity as well as to draw attention to the honor he was to receive. However, I saw a much higher honor denoted by the announcement of his name. You see, the boy of whom I refer is adopted.

He now bears the name of his adopted family. He now proceeds through life with a new identity. His name does not simply represent the identity of his self only, but also allows insight into the heart of his new family. His name represents his adoption into a family that willingly opened their arms with love to allow him a place. He has been accepted for who he is, however now grows under the influence of who he will become. His name represents so much more than his self alone.

I wonder. Has my name changed? Have I taken on the name of Jesus? When there is an announcement in the heavens do the angels here my name and cringe? Or does the resounding glory of Christ Jesus so echo through eternity that the entirety of my identity is encompassed within his name?

Paul reminds the Ephesians –

“In love he (God) predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will - to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves” Ephesians 1:5-6

Christ has made known to us the name of his Father in Heaven. So that we may come to know the Father just as Christ knows the Father and that we may love Jesus just as God loves Jesus. So that Jesus may dwell in us, so that we may dwell in him, so that we all can be one.

Have I fully taken on the name of Christ? Do I savor the relationship his name denotes?

Have I truly ceased to exist as individual? Do I find abundant life in Jesus? Does his acceptance of me absolutely complete all my desires?

I pray for the grace of God to so surround us that we no longer see each other; but Christ only.

No comments: